Sunday, July 19, 2015

Small Houses

The idea for these houses came from various period photos of houses that were built for the mining towns that cropped in the United States at the beginning of the 20th century.  I also see the potential for these to be used on a bayou/swamp table.  I want to capture the inhabitant's poverty - not only in the monetary sense, but also of the time available to the inhabitants.  These were functional buildings that provided shelter, but little comfort.

Right now, I have the basic structure created.  I still need to add the frames for the window and doors which will be done with a thinner strip of bass wood.  I knew I was adding frames, so you will see the edges for the door and window are not even - I did not see the need to re-cut since the edges will be covered.  I will also be staining the wood once the trim is completed.



 
 


After the staining, the roof and flooring will be created for these.  I wanted the roof and flooring modular to allow me the flexibility to use these houses in desert and bayou settings which might require different looks for each location. I will attempt a short foundation, a slightly raised porch, and a raised-on-stilts foundation.  The interior flooring will be the same wood I am using for the trim.  I have even thought of creating a dirt floor.

More of that to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment