Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Budget Carrier

Transporting your miniatures can get as expensive as buying and painting your miniatures. 
When you are first starting into miniatures or just starting a new game, you will be more interested in your money going towards building your army.  Here is an idea for an inexpensive, possibly free, way to transport your minis in relative safety.

There is a caveat:  your models are not secured in-place so they will rattle around a little while transporting and they will definitely bounce around if you do sharp turns or tilt the carrier.  You get what you pay for, but it is more than adequate with gentle care.  My painting is not to the level I want, so I am not too concerned about wear from bumps and scrapes from transporting; also, all of my minis are works-in-progress. 

Start with a sturdy cardboard box; it will possibly be what your minis were shipped in or if you bought your minis from your Local Game Store, ask your LGS if they have any lying around.  Next, get some empty egg crates -  make sure there is no yolk or any other stuff that can get on your models.  Cut the tops off of egg crates.  I gave my a good shake and dusting to get out any little bits that could chip or rub my minis.  You can add a little glue to the bottom of the crates to secure them to the box once you found a good configuration.I buy 18-packs of eggs so I was able to fit two crates in the box and it left just enough room for the container I have of tokens.  Notice in the picture that the crate accommodates all base sizes.  If you have the bubble pack that the box was shipped with, it can go over the top of your minis to make transport a little more secure.

In time, you will branch out to expensive carriers and foam or magnetic bases, but for the beginning it is more immersive to spend $20 -$50 on more minis rather than transportation for 6-10 models.

Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment